There is a lot more involved in opening a quality coffee shop than most people will ever know. It costs $450,000 to open the average Starbucks, and many independent coffee shops require huge bank loans to open. Thanks to the people who gave, AWAKE Cafe is opening DEBT FREE.
This week we passed our final Health Department inspection with flying colors! Our final Building and Occupancy inspection with the City of Detroit is scheduled for February 20th. While we are nervous, we are confident. God has brought us this far, and we believe that He will see us through. This is the final inspection before we can officially open.
The shop will provide employment opportunities for our ministry team members, a means of outreach to Wayne State University and the community, and a way of sustainably supporting the ministry in Detroit (and hopefully beyond.)
We have a lot of work to do to market the shop. Wayne State students are our target market, but there are other people who live nearby who will also be potential customers. Some of our selling points will be:
- Our cozy setting. We want it to feel like a home away from home.
- Our great coffee. With Daniel Melton’s “Elevation” roast of coffee as our primary source, we think that we have a winning taste. Melton Trading Company has been working hard at growing relationships with coffee growers in Honduras since 2003, and no one knows coffee better than Daniel!
- Our prices. We will be slightly cheaper than all of the other coffee shops in the area.
- Our story. We plan to put the story of the people who are producing our coffee front and center. This is not just “fair trade coffee;” this is relationally-sourced coffee.
- Our amazing staff. We are assembling a great team of people.
- Caila, former EFM missionary in Guatemala, has a winning personality, and she is taking the lead on marketing and getting our story out.
- Abigail, a local Mennonite young lady, has a great spirit and is a hard worker.
- Devon, another young man from the Mennonite community, is handy, great with people, and loves the shop.
Thanks to everyone who has helped us get to this point. So much work has gone into making this project a success, and we could not have done it alone.
Would you like to support the shop but you’re not close to Detroit? You can still get a taste of AWAKE! Purchase our great coffee to try at home. You can buy it straight from our new store website.
If you are close enough, we hope you’ll join us for the dedication ceremony we are planning for Friday, March 29 at 7:00pm. Everyone is welcome!! It promises to be a great time as we celebrate what God is doing in Detroit.
Urban Ministry Director
Evangelistic Faith Mission